PHILADELPHIA, Pa., March 2, 2023 — The Alliance for Decision Education, a national nonprofit organization leading the movement to have decision-making skills taught in K-12 schools, today announced the publication of the first Research Agenda for Decision Education. The Research Agenda is an important step in building a base of evidence and knowledge for the field of Decision Education.
The agenda is an initial framework intended to help shape and develop future research efforts, and serve as a guide for scholars to generate research ideas, projects, and findings that will inform practice in the field.
“As the leader in the Decision Education movement, we believe that students benefit from learning the skills of improved judgment and decision-making,” said Jinsol Lee, Alliance Deputy Director of Research. “There is still much to learn through research about how to teach decision-making competencies for children and adolescents and to understand its impact. This agenda will advance understanding of Decision Education by identifying and guiding future research opportunities.”
The Alliance created the framework during their first-ever Decision Education Research Convening, which brought together six prominent scholars in the fields of judgment and decision-making. By combining their expertise with the Alliance’s insights, the group identified priorities, questions, and potential goals necessary to build the empirically grounded knowledge base of the field.
Those researchers included:
- Baruch Fischhoff, Ph.D., Howard Heinz University Professor in Engineering and Public Policy at Carnegie Mellon University
- Jonathan Baron, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus of Psychology at the University of Pennsylvania
- Ellen Peters, Ph.D., Philip H. Knight Chair, Director of the Center for Science Communication Research, and Professor of Journalism and Communication and of Psychology at the University of Oregon
- Maggie Toplak, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Psychology at York University
- Joshua Weller, Ph.D., Lecturer at Leeds University Business School
- Johannes Siebert, Ph.D., Professor of Decision Sciences and Behavioral Economics at the Management Center of Innsbruck
Additional details on the research convening and the complete Research Agenda can be found on the Alliance website.
About the Alliance
The Alliance for Decision Education is a national nonprofit leading the growing call to have Decision Education taught in schools across the country. Founded in 2014 and backed by experts in decision science and education, including several Nobel laureates, the Alliance believes that better decisions lead to better lives and a better society.
The Alliance is working with teachers, academic and business leaders, families, and community members to raise awareness and empower students with the skills and dispositions to make better decisions.
For more information about the Alliance for Decision Education, please visit the website at alliancefordecisioneducation.org, or connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and YouTube.
Public Relations Senior Manager