Learning Experience Designer
Reporting to the Director of Education, the Learning Experience Designer (LED) will manage various initiatives to develop middle and high school-age students’ decision making and critical thinking skills, particularly through programs that will reach students in a number of different out-of-school time settings. The LED will help conceptualize these programs, but it is anticipated that the approaches will include afterschool clubs, learning games, exhibits, and other kinds of highly engaging experiences. The LED will also work to identify other high-quality out-of-school time program providers external to the Alliance. The LED will work to build a network of such organizations that will focus on best practices for providing students with informal learning experiences to help them learn to make better decisions. Overall, the work of the LED aims to reach middle and high school-age students attending public, public charter, and private schools, as well as these students’ schools, teachers, parents, and caregivers.
An initial focus of the LED will be to define and implement the Alliance’s new DECIDE! (Decision Education Clubs to Inspire and Develop students who Effect change) initiative. DECIDE! is an afterschool club and competition experience for students to identify solutions to real-world problems that affect communities and society. Club meetings will focus on identifying possible solutions to a challenge question and developing the strongest possible evidence base for the best ideas using decision making and critical thinking skills. A digital sandbox will be provided to students to use in which different solutions can be simulated and data can be collected. Club teams will present their findings to a panel of expert judges at a city-wide competition and be judged on the basis of the strength of the evidence that supports their idea. College scholarships will be awarded. This project has been fully funded and the Alliance is spearheading this initiative, in collaboration with and supported by several out-of-school time organizations.
The Learning Experience Designer’s work will dovetail with the Alliance’s work in classroom instruction, and be vital to the Alliance’s groundbreaking efforts to develop Decision Education knowledge, skills, and dispositions in students. These skills will better prepare students for the modern world and better ensure that the world has the future citizens it needs to solve the unforeseen problems that lie in store. The right person for the LED position will be excited to drive this broader agenda.
The LED would ideally work out of the Alliance’s new offices in Bala Cynwyd, PA (right outside of Philadelphia) once the staff returns to the office, but we will consider remote work for exceptional candidates.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the decision making and critical thinking concepts that the Alliance aims to teach, with significant learning support from the organization
- Manage all aspects of the DECIDE! project described above and other initiatives/projects that may arise over time related to learning experiences for students, particularly in the out-of-school time setting
- Design and manage all aspects of building out the learning experience, from strategy to planning to execution, in collaboration with internal staff and external contractors as necessary
- Communicate with all stakeholders, including staff, collaborators, vendors, contractors, and participants; present on the work and our findings to external audiences
- Coordinate logistics
- Track, measure, and evaluate the engagement and effectiveness of learning experiences; run agile cycles of data-driven iterative improvement of designs, including user testing and user experience research as relevant
The Alliance for Decision Education is seeking an innovative and effective Learning Experience Designer. Qualifications of an ideal candidate include:
- Experience in
- Learning experience design in a wide variety of both in-person and virtual settings, including out-of-school events, games, or simulations
- K-12 formal education and its standards, including as an educator or in support of schools/teachers
- Managing product development, including working with tech vendors, is desirable (coding not required)
- Collaborative design, including “co-designing” with intended users, and running agile and iterative improvement design processes
- Relevant experience with digital platforms as well as digital documentation and collaboration tools
- Experience in any of the following is a plus: adult learning, service design, or graphic design
- General Attributes
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Passion for the Alliance’s mission, societal decision making, and social impact
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of initiatives concurrently
- Sincere commitment to building relationships and working collaboratively with all stakeholders, including staff, partners, vendors, contractors, collaborators, and learning experience participants
- Innovative thinking at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Responsible and conscientious, with outstanding organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial attitude; able to work independently; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Ability and willingness to adapt and be flexible
- A master’s-level degree in a relevant field like the learning sciences, education, design, psychology, or cognitive science is expected, but other paths to an equivalent level of knowledge and experience will be given equal consideration.
Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 31, 2020: (1) resume, (2) a cover letter (stating minimum salary requirements and where you learned about the job opportunity), and (3) relevant prior work (i.e. a portfolio or project descriptions/samples of relevant work) with a description of your role in the work submitted.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The Alliance for Decision Education is an equal opportunity employer.
STAY INFORMED: JOIN OUR MAILING LIST!
We will send you occasional updates on the organization. Your information will not be sold or otherwise distributed.