Director of Education
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Education will set, guide, and execute the strategy for the Alliance’s efforts to establish, build, and integrate the field of Decision Education. Decision Education is focused on teaching students the skills, concepts, and dispositions that will help them become effective decision-makers.
This individual will be responsible for developing the Alliance’s efforts in various areas, potentially including developing and promoting educator credentials and professional learning opportunities; envisioning and building curricula, standards, and assessments; and establishing and managing relationships with various education stakeholders. The Director of Education will ensure that the Alliance is viewed as the central reference, disseminator, and conduit of Decision Education content, training, and best practices within this diverse constituency. The Director of Education will work closely with a senior peer group within the organization as the education partner on a variety of strategic initiatives.
The position will be remote initially, but we expect that the Director of Education will be a regular presence in the Alliance office in Bala Cynwyd, PA, once the organization deems it safe to return to the office.
- Design, implement, and evaluate the Education Department’s strategic plan, both in the short-term and long-term
- Lead the Education Department; hire, mentor, and manage team members, including instructional designers, community and program managers, and other staff
- Develop and maintain a rich online offering of Decision Education curricula, program offerings, and teacher resources
- Develop and manage educator professional learning opportunities, including certifications
- Lead cross-departmental collaboration along with other Directors
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with various education stakeholders, including departments of education, school districts, independent schools, education colleges, graduate schools of education, and professional education organizations
- Oversee the organization and execution of training events, workshops, and conference participation
- Track and measure all aspects of Education efforts with clear metrics and accountability
We seek a strategic, collaborative, and mission-oriented educational leader with a deep commitment to improving lives through education. Qualifications of an ideal candidate include:
- A doctorate in education is preferred, but other paths to an equivalent level of knowledge and experience will be given equal consideration.
- Extensive background in K-12 teaching, curriculum development, administration, faculty leadership, faculty training, and/or education leadership
- Experience in one or more of the following specific areas:
- Piloting and developing new curriculum and training programs
- Educator professional learning and certification
- Online learning and micro-credentialing
- Assessment development
- District, charter, state, and independent school management practices
- Curricular education reform efforts such as SEL, STEM, Common Core, etc.
- Knowledge of the education landscape, current national and state policies, and education reform efforts
- Experience with the various subjects areas related to Decision Education is a plus (e.g. critical thinking, social and emotional learning, cognitive science).
- General Attributes
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to manage with clarity and respect; gracious professionalism, and strong interpersonal skills
- Actively open-minded and intellectually curious
- Highly collaborative; sincere commitment to building relationships and working collaboratively with stakeholders, staff, and vendors; able to work across departments and serve as a bridge between all
- Strategic leader with strong execution skills; innovative thinking at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Flexible and good sense of humor
- Thrives on managing a variety of initiatives concurrently; able to create schedules and keep deadlines
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial attitude
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Able to establish and build trust with educational leaders, teachers, and program providers
- Comfortable presenting to Boards, executives, and influential thought-leaders
- Excellent team member with a passion for the mission and the success of the organization; willingness to lean into work outside of the Education Department to support a small but growing team
Please email your resume, cover letter (stating minimum salary requirements and where you learned about the job opportunity), and samples of relevant work to email@example.com by May 31, 2021.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Alliance employees receive a comprehensive benefits package (including health and dental insurance completely covered for you and your family, a 401k with up to 5% match, and long term disability insurance), generous paid time off and sick-time policies, a laptop, and other tools and resources to help employees do their best work.
STAY INFORMED: JOIN OUR MAILING LIST!
We will send you occasional updates on the organization. Your information will not be sold or otherwise distributed.