Director of Communications
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of Communications will set and guide the strategy for all communications (including earned media, branding, website, social media, and organizational collateral) to consistently articulate our mission and engage our stakeholders and the general public. The Director of Communications will significantly increase awareness of Decision Education and the organization with relevant stakeholders and the general public, and ensure that the Alliance is viewed as the primary reference and disseminator of information within our diverse constituency.
The Director of Communications will work closely with a senior peer group within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives and will lead the Communications Department.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate an annual communications plan across the network’s audiences in collaboration with the Alliance and constituents
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and brand awareness, as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time
- Earned Media
- Develop and manage all media contacts and significantly improve our organization’s visibility beyond its immediate constituency through earned media and other PR efforts
- Content Creation and Management
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual report, e-newsletters, social media postings, and websites
- Website/Social Media
- Mentor and lead team members and vendors responsible for the Alliance for Decision Education’s websites’ administration and coordination
- Coordinate webpage maintenance – ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Coordinate social media engagement – ensure that new and consistent information is posted regularly
- Thought Leadership
- Develop a thought leadership strategy, including content creation and earned media efforts, to increase the visibility and credibility of the Executive Director and other leaders and position them and the Alliance as experts in this area
The Alliance for Decision Education is seeking an accomplished Director of Communications who has at least 7 years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex (based on number and variety of constituents) entity (nonprofit or for-profit). The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical. The ultimate goal is to build an active, engaged, and growing community of interest.
Qualifications of an ideal candidate include:
- Master communicator, story-teller, and brand ambassador
- Exceptional writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Passion for Decision Education and the Alliance’s mission
- Earned media expertise and significant experience with respect to other aspects of communications, including branding, content creation, stakeholder communications, website management, and social media
- Experience building movements, coalitions, or networks and bringing together new constituents
- Experience developing and implementing communications plans and strategies; a strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Sincere commitment to working collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff and board members, donors, and other supporters and collaborators
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Self-starter and entrepreneurial; able to work independently; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Experience or interest in education and/or cognitive science is a plus
Please email your resume, a cover letter (stating minimum salary requirements and where you learned about the job opportunity), and samples of previous communications work to email@example.com by October 31, 2020.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The Alliance for Decision Education is an equal opportunity employer.
STAY INFORMED: JOIN OUR MAILING LIST!
We will send you occasional updates on the organization. Your information will not be sold or otherwise distributed.